Get Help for your Child from Top California Substance Abuse Programs
Substance abuse is the consumption of illegal or prescription drugs or other chemicals for nonmedical, recreational purposes. Most people who abuse substances do it to elicit a certain effect in the mind and the body in general. Abuse often begins as self medication, as a reaction or in escape of reality, but soon leads to uncontrollable dependence marked with cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Drug abuse in children can cause irreparable damage to both physical and mental health often leading to stained relationships and poor academic performance. Consequences of drug abuse can also be fatal. Suicide which is the third leading cause of death in children is largely caused by substance abuse and mental issues.
As soon as you suspect that your child is abusing a drug, it is important that you talk to him or her about the harmful effects of the drug. You can know they are addicted if you observe the following signs and symptoms;
- Drastic and sudden changes in mood and behavior.
- Unexpected changes in grooming and clothing habits
- Existence of suspicious drug paraphernalia in the home such as syringes, rolling papers, butane lighteners, unexplained pipes and makeshift smoking apparatus among others.
- Physical and health issues including nosebleeds, runny noses, excessive coughs and bronchitis, dental problems, red eyes and loss in weight among others.
- Psychological and cognitive symptoms including delusions, hallucinations, lowered threshold for violence, slow to react, slow speech, disorientation and confusion.
- Altered sleep and eating patterns
- Withdrawal from friends and family members and a loss in interest in once adored activities
Treatment at Visions California based residential treatment center
At Visions Residential Treatment facility in California, children are taught how they can live a healthy, more rewarding life away from drugs. Unfortunately, many kids actually learn about the use of drugs from adults. Some start using drugs because they have seen others using it. If these kids were made to understand that drugs are actually bad not only for themselves but for the community in general, they would with time change their perceptions and try to live a life away from these harmful substances. The drug abuse program at Visions California aims to make these kids recognize the existence of, and change destructive behaviors in their lives.
Call 866-889-3665 to speak with a Visions professional about substance abuse programs.