The Top 5 Benefits of Combining Education and Addiction Treatment
Top 5 Benefits of Combining Education and Addiction Treatment
According to recent studies, drug addiction therapy should combine different approaches for long lasting results. Therapies that combine more than one approach have been found to be far more effective because they address the behavioral, biological, and social aspects of treatment as a unit. Drug addiction is not all about interacting with drugs; it is fueled by numerous other factors such as personal experiences, the environment, and the addict’s biological vulnerability. Viewing drug addiction as purely behavioral or exclusively biological is therefore too limiting.
Combining education and addiction treatment has several benefits.
- Increased activity of the frontal lobe – Research shows that increasing the activity of the frontal lobe in early treatment helps with neurogenesis. Neurogenesis simply refers to the birth of neurons. It is a process by which neurons are generated from the progenitor cells and the neural stem cells. Neurons or nerve cells help in processing and transiting information. Education and learning are known to increase the activity of the frontal lobe.
- Learning together – Educational programs ensure that clients start and finish together. This is different from normal treatments where clients are constantly admitted to and discharged from a drug treatment program. This cohesive learning is critical for effective treatment of drug addiction.
- More time with facility staff – Clients receiving treatment from an educational facility are likely to benefit from the extra hours they spend with the staff. Their treatment schedules often include special academic groups, study groups, and regular treatment lectures. They usually also benefit from treatment program groups and life skill groups.
- Positivity – Successful addiction treatment requires that clients see the productiveness of whatever they are put through. If they don’t feel it’s important, they are likely to resist. On the other hand, if they can see that they are attending classes to further their educational and career goals, they will feel like they have something to look forward to. This makes them more hopeful.
- Discipline – Clients in an educational program learn to suit up and show up. They learn the importance of forming classes and their attendance is often monitored. Soon, they are attending classes happily and voluntarily.
Click below or call 866-889-3665 for more information on combining education and addiction training.