Alcoholics Anonymous Making Waves In…Fashion?

Alcoholics Anonymous Making Waves In…Fashion?

Alcoholics Anonymous making waves in……………..Fashion????? At 27 years old, I feel almost archaic at young peoples meetings. Comparable to a pager amongst cell phones, I’m not exactly a spring chicken in the young peoples’ circuit of Alcoholics Anonymous. Recently, I decided to get in touch with my roots, and re-visited one of my old youthful home groups. Mind you, I hadn’t been to this particular meeting in about three years. As I approached the entrance, a warm feeling came over me. It had all the familiar sights, sounds, and smells that had once signified comfort to me, but something was different. I immediately noticed that kids from ages 12-20 were dawning symbols of AA. Whether it was chips worn as bracelets, necklaces, or earrings, leather purses adorned with the double “A” moniker, or ripped jeans sewn with the universal triangle and circle, I couldn’t believe that Alcoholics Anonymous had become somewhat of a fashion statement. It brought a smile to my face. Was being in AA cool? Was this debilitating affliction, hidden for so long, becoming a fad? Who knew?
It was amazing to me that kids were wearing tributes to their alcoholism as accessories. Comparable to badges of honor, these bits and pieces spoke more loudly than words. They said, “We are the new generation of AA. We are proud of whom and what we are and we are not afraid to show it. I giggled to myself quietly and couldn’t help but wonder what Bill W and Dr. Bob would make of this situation. I’m pretty sure they would be giggling too!

Veronica Verderame

10 Comments
  • Anonymous

August 18, 2008 at 2:14 pm Reply

This is a very creative post and a good way to get kids interested in other facets of alcoholics anonymous.

• Anonymous

August 18, 2008 at 2:52 pm Reply

Bill and Bob may be turning in their graves. They may or may not be ready for the new revolution of Alcholics Anonymous, but I am.

• Michelle Salem

August 18, 2008 at 2:54 pm Reply

Who knew that AA would ever be a fashion statement! What a great, wonderful take on sobriety. Leave it to the youth. Another chapter in AA’s history. Well put Veronica V!

Michelle S.

• Anonymous

August 18, 2008 at 2:54 pm Reply

Never would I have imagined that an article regarding AA as a fashion statement would bring joyful tears to my eyes. As a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous who frequented young people’s meetings several years ago, it brought me such joy to hear of the recent development of AA fashion trends amongst our young. After so many years of stigma and shame attached to this disease, our youth are bringing a new liberation to the rooms. “We are the new generation of AA. We are proud of whom and what we are and we are not afraid to show it.” Beautiful. If Bill & Dr. Bob could see us now!

• 20K

August 18, 2008 at 3:02 pm Reply

It has totally become cool to be in AA. With all the celebrities making headlines for their exploits and with people like Britney and Lindsey going to rehab and shows like Intervention and Celebrity Rehab, kids can’t help but get exposed to AA and sobriety. When they see their idols getting sober, it has a dramatic effect. I’ve seen kids with circle and triangle tattoos and what not. It’s everywhere. Hope it lasts and isn’t just a fad. I think Bill and Bob would dig it.

• Anonymous

August 18, 2008 at 3:08 pm Reply

it sooo true i love young peoples AA .. i wouldnt be able to stay sober with out it 😉 OR THE FELLOWSHIP

• Anonymous

August 18, 2008 at 3:11 pm Reply

I think that it amazing that we can be apart of something, when we get sober we are taken out of everything we know, and as if being a young adult in LA isnt hard enough to loose the only comrodary we have appl who use …. is almost unbearable … i love that we can hang out and fellowship and that AA has become cool your so right … yay AA

• Anonymous

August 19, 2008 at 5:49 pm Reply

Fads come an go – hopefully these kids can stay sober when those around them point to their AA fashion with a more critical eye… AA isn’t a prop, or a fashion statement, or a place to get laid, but people will always use it as such until they hit rock bottom.

• Anonymous

August 22, 2008 at 4:13 pm Reply

Well put Veronica V, Visions is lucky to have you as one of its team members. You seem to have a good grasp on the recovery process, and the way that youth perceive it.

• Bilsbobaggins

March 3, 2009 at 12:14 am Reply

In San Diego, the big book is almost shunned upon in “young peoples” meetings. It’s ones own choice to do what they want with the circle triangle symbol, but the high school behavior is the issue I’ve found. With any young people hitting adolescents, the social ring is something we all go through, but when does the gossip and the sleeping aroung cross the line with the spiritual principles we stand for or die behind? I personally think that the introduction with the new pamphlets “Sponsoring Minors, For Parents Of Sponsored Minors” might bring into light the predatorial behavior that is exibited not only umong the young. The AA babysitting isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. For myself, a 23 year-old, this facet of AA has made me feel like a black sheep in my own fellowship.